My mom went vegan and needed to figure out how to make french toast, so this is her invention and wow is it good! It’s not as sweet as regular French toast (though that can be fixed with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top if you’d like) and this recipe is packed with protein and nutrients. I’ve gotten to have this a couple times and and it’s always a nice treat in a way that’s different from the overly sweet conventional version that makes you feel guilty; I still slather mine with maple syrup (always have, probably always will), but we use real maple syrup and this French toast just leaves you feeling healthy and nourished.
(Leave a comment below if you try this out – my mom will be so thrilled!)
- 2 slices bread (your favorite kind)
- Egg substitute for 1 egg (she uses Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer)
- 1/4 cup unsweeted non-dairy milk (I’ve had it with three different types: Tempt Hemp Milk, Ripple Pea Milk, and Good Karma Flaxmill – all were delicious)
- 1 scoop protein powder (she uses Better Body Foods Organic Plant Protein Pea and Quinoa Protein Powder, which comes with its own scoop)
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- Olive oil spray (additive-free pan spray)
- Butter substitute (she uses Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread)
- Make the egg replacer in a bowl large enough to lay a piece of bread down flat inside. If using the Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer, the recipe on the back for 1 egg is 1 1/2 tsp. replacer + 2 tbsp. water, stirred until slushy.
- Add the milk, protein powder and hemp seeds to the egg replacer. If it doesn’t seem soupy enough, add a splash more milk.
- Spray a pan with olive oil.
- Melt some butter in the pan (enough to coat each place where a slice of bread will sit).
- Dip the bread in the mix and evenly coat both sides.
- Lay the bread in the pan on a melted butter spot.
- If there’s leftover mix, poke the bread all over with a fork to make holes, then pour the mix over the bread to fill the holes.
- Turn the bread frequently, adding butter with each flip. Be careful not to burn (you or the toast).
- Cook until toasty on both sides.
- My mom suggests serving this with fresh fruit.
- Cooking up some fresh or frozen fruit makes a nice topping as well.
- Top with real maple syrup.