There’s only three steps to this simple recipe: crumble some tofu in a pan, sprinkle on some turmeric to add a mild flavor and the bright yellow color, and if desired, add a little sulphur, the ingredient that makes eggs stinky and tart. The sulphur content is easy to add with either onion powder or garlic powder, both of which have a high sulphur content (hence their known stink-factor). Mixing some fresh onions into the scramble is even better as it gives a truly savory dish with more of a fancy feel to it.
Another option for sulphur content (and the one that most vegans tout as the true secret to achieving a perfect egg replica) is Kala namak or Himilayan black salt. This salt contains a strong sulphur odor that can change the flavor of the tofu to be more egg-like witout the added flavor profile of onion and garlic.
Quick Breakdown of Nutrition
Many people need more iron in their diets, particularly women and those who have iron-deficiency anemia. Tofu is an excellent source of this essential nutrient, so much so that even vegetarians who normally do eat eggs should consider swapping as well since vegans and vegetarians are recommended to increase their iron intake.
Those looking to cut calories for weight loss or increase calcium for any reason will also be pleased to see that tofu meets both of those criteria as well. True, there is slightly less protein in tofu, but 9g is still a good serving amount (and of course can easily be paired with a higher protein slice of toast).
Better Than Eggs Scramble
- 1/4 package Tofu (extra firm used for photo)
- Sulphur ingredient if desired (onion powder, garlic powder, Kala namak salt, fresh onions, etc.)
- Seasonings to taste
- Drain the water from the package of tofu.
- Crumble the tofu by hand into a sprayer pan.
- Sprinkle turmeric over the tofu and stir to mix well.
- Sprinkle on a sulphur ingredient if desired and stir to mix well. If using fresh onion, chop and mix in with the tofu.
- Add any additional seasonings preferred.
- Cook for approximately 6 minutes, stirring regularly.
Have you tried making a tofu scramble? Comment below with your tips!